Communication for the Senior Leader®
A Humphrey Group program offered by The Niagara Institute
Communication for the Senior Leader® builds upon the program, Speaking as a Leader®. Participants are encouraged to take Speaking as a Leader first, but that course is not a prerequisite to this more advanced course. Communication for the Senior Leader is designed for leaders who must speak on-the-fly in a variety of impromptu situations. This program will show those who attend how to present their thinking clearly, succinctly 'in the moment'. Participants will learn how to be savvy communicators who can size up an audience, flow with the situation, and seize every opportunity to drive home their message.
Small group workshops, with a ratio of 7 participants to one Facilitator, will provide for extensive feedback and one-on-one coaching for all participants.
Communication for the Senior Leader is the first in a series of three communication programs. Further programs include Speaking as a Leader® and Leadership Presence™
Who Should Attend
This program is for leaders who spend much of their time communicating in everyday off-the-cuff situations, in which there is a need to influence and inspire but no time to prepare a formal script or even speaking notes.
- Guidance in spontaneous, strong, succinct messages on the fly;
- Collaboration in designing powerful off-the-cuff “scripts” that persuade others;
- Individual feedback on your strengths and weaknesses in delivering a presentation; and
- Opportunities to practice several methods of communication in small group exercises.
- Understand the importance of off-the-cuff speaking;
- Discover how to apply the Leader’s Script in spontaneous speaking situations;
- Make your script a way of thinking, not just speaking;
- Learn strategies that will help you present your ideas and manage multiple viewpoints;
- Deliver an excellent “elevator pitch”;
- Master a powerful Q&A strategy;
- Use strategies to distill longer documents and deliver “the big picture”;
- Learn how to make the most of small talk situations; and
- Make the language of leadership second nature.
Agenda at a Glance
|Pre-Program ||Assessment—Complete a self-assessment |
|Day 1 || Use The Leader's Script®—Create powerful message-driven talks that inspire. |
Scripting Yourself Off-The-Cuff—Use the Leader’s Script in spontaneous situations. Make it a way of thinking, not just a way of speaking.
Presenting Yours Ideas in Meetings—Practice presenting your ideas during two meeting scenarios, one where there are multiple viewpoints. Receive Facilitator feedback.
Mastering Elevator Conversations—Design and practice a great elevator script. practice speaking in a variety of impromptu situations. Receive Facilitator feedback.
|Day 2 || Mastering Q&As—Learn techniques for handling Q&As. Practice handling a variety of Q&A situations. Receive Facilitator feedback. |
Distilling Longer Documents—Distilling it down to its essence, giving the “high level” version.
Excelling at Small Talk—How to make the most of small talk situations. Practice making small talk.
Close—Program feedback and next steps.
®The Leader’s Script is a registered trademark of The Humphrey Group.
Early Birds Save Money on Programs
Register up to three months before a program start date and you can take advantage of early bird fees. Click on the bird next to the date of your choice to find your early bird fee.
|Date || ||Location || ||Fee* ($Cdn) || || |
|October 17–18, 2013 || ||White Oaks Conference Resort, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario || ||3,395 |
| || |
|November 4–5, 2013 || ||The Conference Board of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario || ||3,395 |
| || |
*Includes breakfast, lunch, and refreshments. Does not include accommodation. Fees are subject to HST.
For all programs held in Niagara-on-the-Lake, accommodation is secured on your behalf upon registration at a preferred rate. For more information, please email info@NiagaraInstitute.com.
Top of page