The journey to becoming a business leader is long, with pitfalls, setbacks, and challenges along the way. And when you’ve attained that executive position, the stress, pressure, and heightened expectations can be overwhelming. However, hearing from other women in business who have reached the pinnacle of their careers can provide the much need motivation and inspiration to keep going.
If you find yourself needing a little boost, read and save these leadership quotes by women in business. Sometimes, all it takes is a little reminder that you’re not alone to raise your determination, resilience, and confidence.
Table of Contents
- Inspirational Career Advice Quote
- Powerful Quotes About Leadership
- Business Motivational Quotes
- Motivational Quotes About Resilience
- Inspiring Quotes About Learning
Inspirational Career Advice Quote From Women in Business
For women in business, hearing from others women share their career advice can provide the inspiration that your career aspirations are not only possible but attainable. Use these 13 inspirational career advice quotes from women in business to give you the boost of motivation you need.
1.“I reached this level because I encouraged my colleagues to reframe their perceptions of the characteristics that make a great leader." - Niki Heim, CFO of LogicSource (Source: Fast Company)
2. “Have those uncomfortable moments. Because my strong personal belief is it is those moments that cause you to grow the most yourself, but that also differentiate you the most in your career.” - Corie Barry, CEO, Best Buy (Source: CNBC)
3. “It’s important to find your passion, to be able to wake up every day and find that power. The work you’re doing must be meaningful to yourself.” - Erica Lee, CEO, Marquis Who’s Who (Source: Forbes)
4. “Once you’ve reached this level of success, you must take an intentional step forward with the company you’re in or with one you want to pursue. Don’t sit back and wait. Take that step forward, and be persistent and confident.” - Julie Brewer, VP of Sales, Cardiac and Vascular Group, Medtronic (Source: MedReps.com)
5. “A hiring manager once assumed I wouldn’t want a global role due to having young kids. By working alongside powerful women, I have learned that being a mother does not adversely affect one’s work but enriches it.” - Jen Bailin, Chief Commerical Officer, Nintex (Source: Forbes)
6. “There is no mountain that is insurmountable. Look out for opportunities. Knock on doors. If those doors are locked, break them open.” - Angela Oduor, Executive Director, Ushahidi (Source: World Economic Forum)
7. “Success is a lot of hard work and sacrifices will have to be made, so we must prioritise the things we want and need. Always ask yourself: "What matters most to me?" - Peggy Quek, Chief Partnership Distribution Officer, AIA Singapore (Source: Human Resources Online)
8. “Don't lose your unique skillset. Don't think you have to adapt. Don't think you have to do things the way men do it. Just because it's been mostly men that have been CEOs doesn’t mean that you must do it their way. Do it your way.” - Vicki Hollub, President & CEO, Occidental Petroleum (Source: World Economic Forum)
9. “Everything I am today as a leader is the product of a collection of everything I have experienced in my life.” - Fatma Kauga, Executive Director, Doyenne Tanzania (Source: The Citizen)
10.“It is an imperative to find your purpose in career and life early and linking that to the impact you want to achieve as a leader, for yourself and the team you lead. Stay very focused on the personal growth you want to achieve and what you want to get out of each career journey.” - Foo Siew Ting, Head of Marketing Services and Personal Systems Marketing, HP Asia Pacific and Japan (Source: Human Resources Online)
11.“Create your personal career strategy: goals that can be achieved within one, five, and 10 years. Be laser-focused on short-term goals and flexible about long-term ones.” - Liz Bacelar, Executive Director of Global Tech Innovation, Estée Lauder Cos. Inc. (Source: Women’s Wear Daily)
12. “You are responsible for your career. You need to make a case for why you deserve a certain role or project, know your value, and most of all, be resilient.” - Jozica Habijanic, Head, Strategic Development Roche Diagnostics Asia Pacific (Source: Human Resources Online)
Powerful Quotes About Leadership From Women in Business
Leadership does not come with a playbook. As a result, it can leave you questioning your approach to management. If you’re a leader that could use a little reassurance and inspiration, read these 14 powerful leadership quotes by women in business.
13. “Leadership isn’t all about being the speaker or the loudest person in the room taking charge; it’s also about listening to others with an open mind and empathy to learn from them.” - Emma Butler, Founder and CEO, Liberare (Source: Women’s Wear Daily)
14. “I define a leader as anyone who takes responsibility for finding the potential in people and processes, and who has the courage to develop that potential.” - Brené Brown, Professor and Author (Source: The CEO Magazine)
15. “We have to continue to position ourselves as leaders who are knowledgeable, transparent, and not afraid to bring up tough conversations to ensure everyone is aligned to driving the business objectives.” - Sandy Salerno, Area Vice President of Northeast Sales, Ethicon (Source: MedReps.com)
16. “Understand that everything starts and ends with people. They are by far your biggest asset as a leader.” - Andrea Fuder, Chief Purchasing Officer, Volvo Group (Source: World Economic Forum)
17. “Lead with optimism. You set the tone and your team will feed off the energy you provide. Sure, there will be challenging days but the mindset you approach them with will make all the difference in getting your team to the other side.” - Mary Dillon, President and CEO, Footlocker (Source: Women’s Wear Daily)
18. “Recognize that what you do is more important than what you say. People ultimately judge you more based on your actions than on your words.” - Jill Grandoff, CEO, Eurazeo (Source: Women’s Wear Daily)
19. “Strong leaders provide their teams with strategies to overcome roadblocks and reframe mistakes as learning opportunities.” - April Pongitory, Vice President of Client Services, Fusion Risk Management (Source: Built In Chicago)
20. “We need to have the courage to empower those we lead, stand up for what we believe, and lead by example.” - Lori Patrick, Director of Business Intelligence, Belvedere Trading (Source: Built In Chicago)
21. “I believe listening is absolutely the most underrated skill and can be so helpful for allowing intelligent, curious people to realise their potential and thrive in their chosen path.” - Jessica Box, Head of Growth, Linktree (Source: Yahoo Finance)
22. “As a team leader, it’s important to empower other women to be their best, because we often are our worst critics.” - Gayle Nixon, Senior Vice President, Marketing, Litera (Source: Built In Chicago)
23. “Leadership is doing the right thing even when it can be difficult.” - Noel Abdur-Rahim, Assurance Partner PwC (Source: Brit + Co)
24. “First and foremost — a clear leader is an effective leader. In my toughest leadership moments, whether it be leading a team through massive change, mobilizing action through ambiguity, etc., leadership clarity and transparency has been my most effective tool.” - Bahja Johnson, Head of Equity and Belonging, Gap Inc. (Source: Women’s Wear Daily)
25. “Develop a vision with one common goal that everyone on the team can follow.” - Angela Antonio, Senior Vice President, Small Business Region Executive, Bank of America (Source: Marie Claire)
26. "Today’s world is quite complex. Effective leaders are able to communicate the complexity in simple terms to bring everyone along". - Gina Boswell, Chief Executive Officer, Bath & Body Works (Source: Women’s Wear Daily)
Business Motivational Quotes
If you’re looking for some business inspiration, go no further. Here are four business motivational quotes from successful women in business.
27. “I do business with my heart as much as I do with my head, both personally and professionally.” - Ursula Burns, CEO, Xerox (Source: Fortune)
28. “If you don’t ask, the answer will always be no.” - Robynn Upton, Engineering Manager, PEAK6 Capital Management (Source: Built In Chicago)
29. “An important lesson is about trust– I have always strived to build and nurture trust within an organization. At work or in relationships, trust is key in the impact it makes and how it influences an organization. It is pretty amazing, and contagious. Learn to trust and earn trust.” - Priya Menon, Executive Director & General Counsel, 3M India (Source: People Matters)
30. “A quick way to fail as an organization is to exclude 50 percent of the workforce. I want top talent on my team, and that simply cannot be accomplished without women.” - Katie Franks, COO & CMO, Magma Capital Funds (Source: Built In Chicago)
Motivational Quotes About Resilience From Women in Business
Mistakes, setbacks, or failures can leave anyone lacking confidence and motivation. Read these four quotes about resilience by successful women in business to bolster your spirits and drive to push forward.
31. ‘When you accept that failure is a good thing, it can actually be a huge propeller toward success.” - Whitney Wolfe Herd, Founder & CEO, Bumble (Source: Forbes)
32. “Mistakes or challenges should be viewed as a chance to learn and grow rather than something that weighs you down - don't fall into the trap of looking too much into the past, pick yourself up and move on.” - Angela Kelly, CEO, Lloyd’s Asia (Source: Human Resources Online)
33. “Just tell me I can’t do it; that’ll pretty much guarantee it gets done.” - Deidra Mitchell, President and CEO of Waséyabek Development Company LLC (Source: Grand Rapids Business Journal)
34. “With more women stepping up to leadership roles and empowering young women, I believe it will be easier for ‘glass ceilings’ to get out of the way.” - Shi Mei Chin, CFO, Spark Systems Pte Ltd (Source: Study International)
Inspiring Quotes About Learning
An attribute many successful women in business attribute their accomplishments to is their insatiable desire for continuous learning. Use these last two quotes about learning by women in business to inspire your ongoing professional development journey.
35. “Always be a lifelong learner. That’s what fuels your passion and that’s what makes every day interesting and exciting. And when you’re not learning, you can sometimes get bored — and when you’re bored, you, the people around you, and your job just don’t get the best of you.” - Devika Mathrani, Senior Vice President, Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, New York-Presbyterian (Source: Health Matters)
36. “Just because you are CEO, don't think you have landed. You must continually increase your learning, the way you think, and the way you approach the organization. I've never forgotten that.” - Indra Nooyi, CEO PepsiCo (Source: Fast Company)